Thursday, August 18, 2005

Hacking the MetroPCS LG VX3200

After many years of resisting, I finally got a cell phone. I went with a local provider MetroPCS, which offers unlimited calling for a flat fee without contracts or credit checks. Overall I think it’s a pretty good deal, though I wish they offered a way to browse the web through the phone.

I decided to go with the LG vx3200, which is a pretty basic model. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of information out there on the LG vx3200 from MetroPCS (mPCS 3200 for short). Verizon Wireless also offers a vx3200, but the Metro vx3200 seems to be somewhat different. Luckily for Metro subscribers, the mPCS 3200 seems to be a bit easier to customize.

One thing you will need for almost all of the hacks is a data cable. The vx3200 requires a serial cable, or a USB-to-Serial cable. It should run about $30. Be careful of the cheap USB cables on Ebay; a lot of them don’t work with the 3200 even though they make that claim. I use a serial cable made by LG (the makers of the phone) which I found on Ebay. You can also look for a FutureDial USB cable. Many people use #19 which was sold by radio shack, though #49 is specifically made for the 3200. The USB cables require drivers while the serial cable doesn’t.

You will also need BitPim, which allows you to access the file system on the phone. I use version .62, but newer versions should also work.

I’ve added a new section to the site for this phone, and I’ll be posting some tips and tricks I’ve learned about this phone and about MetroPCS’ service in general. In the meantime, check out this site on LG 3200 phones. It’s a good starting point and most of the information (aside from the replacement wallpaper instructions) is accurate for the mPCS 3200.

23 Comments

hi,
although the link you gave for another site is great, but you should provide home link for that site.
This wallpaper thing doesnt work for me on that other site, although your directions of putting wallpaper
works.

thanks.

Comment by Raju — Tuesday, November 8, 2005 @ 2:43 am

hi again,

I was wondering if you or some site with info. on how to use this phone or metropcs phones as a modem for your laptop
so you can access the internet via your cell, while you are on the go…

Thanks.

Comment by Raju — Sunday, February 19, 2006 @ 10:36 am

One time I was able to establish a dial up connection with the phone, but it wouldn’t connect to the internet. :(

Comment by swiftlytilting — Sunday, February 19, 2006 @ 7:57 pm

I have a MPCS VX3200 - and i can’t seem to access the file system at all. The data cable will charge the phone, but I can’t get into it using bitpim. Customer Service at Metro PCS says I can’t customize this phone from a computer, and can only get ringtones and pics by buying them and downloading through @metro. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Comment by jason — Thursday, March 2, 2006 @ 9:22 am

^ chances are you bought one of the many bunk cables for this phone. I bet you have a usb cable with a little black box in the middle of the cable.. if you open up the box you will see there is no electronics or anything; there might be a circuit board but the wires just run from on side to the other.

You should look for the “Future Dial” brand cable or the LG brand serial cable. those are the only two brands that are known to work with this phone.

Comment by swiftlytilting — Thursday, March 2, 2006 @ 11:46 am

I will try a different cable. Thanks for all the tips and information here - and the speedy reply to posts!

Comment by jason — Thursday, March 2, 2006 @ 3:08 pm

do the future dial #49 works too the one thats made for lgvx3200 or only the #19
im trying to customizr my phone too :D

Comment by john — Thursday, April 13, 2006 @ 8:46 pm

wow sorry for the shitty typing i was eating so i only had one hand free
anyways my question is it confirmed that the FutureDial USB cable #49 works?
ive browsed throught the web and found that alot of people used the #19..
and about the wallpaper my phone dont have the banner on the top so do i resize my pic 128×128?

Comment by john — Thursday, April 13, 2006 @ 9:12 pm

nvm it works and nvm about the banner thing
great guide man

Comment by john — Friday, April 21, 2006 @ 3:18 pm

i was wondering if there was a way to boost your signal strangth on the 3200
so you can get a better coverage area

Comment by kevin — Monday, May 29, 2006 @ 3:37 am

HELP! My cell has been locked its an lg3200 and I dont know the code
Richard_0324_ca@hotmail.com ASAP

Comment by Richard — Tuesday, June 13, 2006 @ 4:05 pm

i was wondering if i can unlock my verizon lg3200 & have it reprogrammed by Metro PCS for use on their network?

If so what do i need to do that ?

Comment by Louis — Sunday, August 13, 2006 @ 9:55 am

Unfortunately I can’t help you.. I’m not even sure if it’s possible unless you get a new ID number for the phone since metro will only activate phones that have certain numbers

Comment by swiftlytilting — Monday, August 14, 2006 @ 2:21 pm

the mobile action cable seems to work okay, i bought it and the data suite but the suite just sucks even though i got it to work all it does is
ringtones kinda lame but hey the cable works…

Comment by Nanashi-kun — Wednesday, August 30, 2006 @ 5:34 am

YOU WANT TO REALLY HACK THE PHONE???HIT THE TOP LEFT BUTTON,THEN THE * BKEY ,THEN “0″. SEE WHAT OPENS? NOW HIT 000000UNTIL YOU COMPLETE THE CODE AND YOUR IN THE SYSTEM TO DO WHAT YOU WILL WITH IT. bE CAREFUL THOUGH YOU COULD SHUT YOUR OWN PHONE OUT OF SERVICE. .. .GOOD LUCK

Comment by RR — Sunday, November 19, 2006 @ 6:51 pm

Can anyone get into the kyocera strobe for metro pcs? i know alltel has the same phone but with built in AIM. even getting aim to work in my browser would be great.

Comment by charisma23 — Monday, December 18, 2006 @ 3:16 pm

Comment by charisma23 — Monday, December 18, 2006 @ 3:16 pm

AIM.
even getting aim to work in my browser would be great. HELPPP

Comment by Ashley — Thursday, January 4, 2007 @ 4:40 pm

SOMEONE KNOW THE SERVICE CODE OF LG VX3200 (METRO PCS)
VERIZON IS 000000 BUT DO NOT WORK WITH METRO PCS
PLEASE HELP ME

Comment by TONY — Saturday, February 24, 2007 @ 10:26 am

587846

Comment by gstanz — Tuesday, March 13, 2007 @ 11:08 am

Please help me with my LG 32000 Metro PCS phone. It is locked and it says to enter a
code??? Please send it to me if you know it, I would appreciate it soooo much. My e-mail is meredithncheeks@yahoo.com

Thank you!!!

Comment by Meredith — Thursday, April 5, 2007 @ 7:17 am

Help! my Lg3200 is locked and I dont know the code, 0000 doesnt work and I cant find out the last 4 digits of the number, what do I do? its too late to go to a store

Comment by Steven — Saturday, April 7, 2007 @ 4:27 pm

Please help me with my LG 3200 Metro PCS phone. It is locked and it says to enter a
code. Last 4 digits don’t work, and neither does 587846 (only input allowed is 4 digits) My e-mail is rluzardo@yahoo.com

Thank you!!!